The American bison roamed Northern America in great herds years before America was even founded. They were once almost hunted to extinction because of the fur trade and commercial hunting. However, recent recovery efforts have helped their numbers grow so there are roughly 31,000 in national parks and reserves today. The American bison is the national mammal of the United States.
- One-of-a-kind real bison skull
- This specimen is missing its horns and nasal turbinates
- Repairs have been made to this skull
- Skull Length 57.2 cm (22.5 in.)
- Skull Width 33.5 cm (13.2 in.)
- Skull Height 21.5 cm (8.5 in.)
- Greatest Width 60.4 cm (23.8)