Caligo Illioneus or the owl butterfly has a wingspan reaching about 12-15 centimeters (4.7 - 5.9 in). In this large owl butterfly the dorsal sides of the wings vary from light brilliant blue to purplish with dark brown edges, while the undersides have a highly cryptic dull brown color, with huge yellow-rimmed eyespots resembling to the eyes of an owl. The species is native to Costa Rica and it is widespread in most of South America, particularly in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, and Venezuela.
Entomology is a branch of zoology focused on the identification of insects and has become an increasingly common hobby, with butterflies and dragonflies being the most popular. Whichever collection of bugs suites your fancy, these home decor and wall art pieces are sure to set any room of your home apart from the rest with a fascinating display of an appreciation of life and insects!
- Limited quantity available
- Ready to hang
- The photo shown is an example of what your specimen will approximately look like. Each butterfly is unique and will vary slightly in size, shape, color, etc.
- The insect is glued in-between two panes of glass
- The frame is a black gallery style frame made from wood and glass
- Frame Length 16.5 cm (6.5 in.)
- Frame Width 19 cm (7.5 in.)